Oral Surgery/gum filling problem

Question

My dentist filled 4 recessions around my gums on Jan 31.  Two of the fillings have been fine, but the other two (which are side by side) have been extremely sensitive ever since the procedure.  I went back about a week later, and he refilled the two that were bothering me.  They are still very sensitive, and at times, throb like a toothache, waking me up at night.  I went back again about a week ago, and he recommended root canals.  I asked if there was any other options, and he refilled the two again with a temporary filling that he said was normally used on baby teeth.  He said he wanted to see if that would give the nerves time to settle down.  It has not worked. Can you advise?

Answer
Eddie -  If the recessions around the tooth are due to brushing a little too hard, a very common situation when not brushing the correct way, the effect to the tooth often does invade or gets very close to the nerve inside the tooth.  Once nerve tissue gets inflamed, it rarely fully calms down and often root canal treatment is performed.  I agree with your dentist that hopefully the nerves calm down with the temporary fillings.   Another possible treatment that can calms the tooth if the nerve is not violated is direct fluoride treatments.  Will that work?  I don't know without examining you, but you have nothing to lose.  So speak with your dentist about fluoride treatments.  I wish you well and hope you feel better soon and root canal will not be necessary.

Oral Surgery

Joel S. Teig, DMD, Diplomate ABOMS, retired