Oral Surgery/Jaw help/concerns

QUESTION: Hello I am 24 years old Male and for about a year now I have been experiencing a clicking or popping noise when I yawn. This is how it all started. About a year ago I had yawned and my mouth stuck open for a few seconds and wouldn't close. Then finally after a few seconds I was able to close my mouth. Since that has happened I noticed that when I yawn I hear a clicking or popping noise. I am deeply concerned if somehow I may have dislocated my jaw or misaligned my face from this experience. I would like to know what doctor, dentist or specialist I should see to find out if my jaw or face has been dislocated or misaligned in anyway and the best expert to correct those problems if any. Thank you for your time.

ANSWER: Hello Randy

You should see an Oral and Maxillofacial surgeon specializing in TMJ. You might have a disk displacement and this will be confirmed with an MRI. The surgeon will make a specific diagnosis about the origin of the problem and if it is related to misaligned jaws.But you should not worry since this is a very common problem in young people like you.

QUESTION: Hello thank you for your reply. I tried to find a oral surgeon but everyone I call tells me they do not seek patients with TMJ issues, and they then just refer me to a regular dentist who specializes in facial pain. I am frustrated and not sure what to do as they specialists as it appears to seem do not what to see me. Help please?

You can call on my behalf:

M. Franklin Dolwick, D.M.D, Ph.D.
Oral and Maxillofacial Surgeon
PO Box 100416 UFHSC
UF College of Dentistry
Gainesville, FL 32610
Phone: (352) 392-4116
FAX: (352) 392-7609

Oral Surgery

Chawket MANNAI, DDS,Ph.D Diplomate ABOMS

I am a US board certified Oral & Maxillofacial Surgeon trained at UCLA and Parkland Memorial Hospital (Dallas) with more than 25 years of experience and will provide answers to all questions pertaining to the Oral& Maxillofacial Surgery region including Orthognathic Surgery, Trauma,TMJ, Implantology, tumour surgery (excluding cancer and Oral Dermatology),reconstructive surgery...

Extensive in all fields for the past 25 years hospital and office based.

American Association of Oral & Maxillofacial Surgeons American College of Oral & Maxillofacial Surgeons British Association of Oral & Maxillofacial Surgeons

2006: Mannai Chawket Early implant loading in severely resorbed maxilla using xenograft, autograft, and platelet-rich plasma in 97 patients. Journal of oral and maxillofacial surgery : official journal of the American Association of Oral and Maxillofacial Surgeons 2006;64(9):1420-6. Bayonne, France. 1998: Bell W H; Mannai C [An interview with Dr. W.H. Bell and Dr. C. Mannai. Interview by Colette Orival-Demange.] L' Orthodontie franšaise 1998;69(1):225-9. 1988: Abemayor E; Zemplenyi J; Mannai C; Webb D J; Canalis R F The fixation of malar fractures with the transnasal Kirschner wire. The Journal of otolaryngology 1988;17(4):179-82. Division of Head and Neck Surgery, Harbor-UCLA Medical Center, Torrance 90509. 1988: Wald R M; Abemayor E; Zemplenyi J; Mannai C; Lesavoy M A The transoral treatment of mandibular fractures using noncompression miniplates: a prospective study. Annals of plastic surgery 1988;20(5):409-13. Division of Plastic Surgery, Harbor/UCLA Medical Center. 1988: Di S; Bell W H; Mannai C; Seale N S; Hurt W C; Taylor J; Waite D E Long-term evaluation of human teeth after Le Fort I osteotomy: a histologic and developmental study. Oral surgery, oral medicine, and oral pathology 1988;65(4):379-86. Division of Oral and Maxillofacial Surgery, University of Texas Health Science Center, Dallas. 1988: Bell W H; Mannai C; Luhr H G Art and science of the Le Fort I down fracture. The International journal of adult orthodontics and orthognathic surgery 1988;3(1):23-52. 1986: Mannai C; Schwartz H C Juvenile nasopharyngeal angiofibroma presenting as a facial swelling. A case report. Journal of maxillofacial surgery 1986;14(6):329-31. 1986: Mannai C; Leake D; Pizzoferrato A; Ciapetti G; Sangiorgi C Histologic evaluation of purified bovine tendon collagen sponge in tooth extraction sites in dogs. Oral surgery, oral medicine, and oral pathology 1986;61(4):315-23.

DDS,Ph.D Fellow and Diplomate American Board of Oral & Maxillofacial Surgery Residency training:Harbor-UCLA MedicalCenter 1982-1985 Fellow OMFS Parkland Memorial Hospital Dallas Texas with William H.BELL