Oral Surgery/Mandibular Implants

Question
QUESTION: Hello Dr. Teig,

I want to have custom jaw implants made, and I am considering either medpor or perhaps gortex coated silicone...Can you give me your thoughts on these materials?  They would be used to fill in gaps along the border of the jaw...

Thank you...

Paul

ANSWER: Paul - Both are good in specific situations.  I have not used either for gap repair.

QUESTION: Dr. Teig,

Another option I am considering is reversal of a sliding genioplasty that I had six years ago...The advancement was approximately 4-5mm...Is this something that can be safely done, and what issues would I need to consider?  I have read about the healing between the bone segments as well chin ptosis...Are these or other potential problems able to be accurately determined from x-rays, CT scans, and tissue evaluation prior to the surgery?  Any thoughts would be helpful..

Thank you..

Paul

Answer
Paul -redundant surgeries are often fraught with problems.  With each surgery there is scar tissue that forms.  That scar tissue can alter the normal anatomy.  Redoing cosmetic surgery can often have problems gaining the correct anatomy due to scarring after the first surgery and additional scarring in the second one.

Unfortunately, the whole story is not told in CT scans, xrays, MRIs and tissue evaluation.  The true characteristics of the tissue will not be known until the area is opened.  Let me just say that changes can be achieved if you are not satisfied with your genioplasty.  An exact prediction is going to be very difficult.  So changes can be made that might make you happy, but an exact prediction will be a little difficult.  Compensation for that might be attempted and might make the final results better.

Oral Surgery

Joel S. Teig, DMD, Diplomate ABOMS, retired