Oral Surgery/Pain after extraction

Question
It has been 12 days since I had the bottom left molar farthest back extracted ever since I have had a piece of bone next to my tongue sticking out of the socket that has been very painful and making the other teeth next to it hurt too. Is this normal? what can I do about the pain I have been taking a lot of tylenol and ibuprofen and doing a rinse but it doesn't seem to be helping much.

Answer
Matt - an area of bone sticking out of the tooth socket is not normal.  Immediately you should have yourself evaluated by a board certified oral and maxillofacial surgeon.  It might not be back, but some of these bone fragments can produce not good secondary effection.  In the meantime, until you see the surgeon, immediately begin warm salt water rinses in the area for about 4 minutes, 4-5 times a day.  So increase the rinsing and see a surgeon for an evaluation.

Oral Surgery

Joel S. Teig, DMD, Diplomate ABOMS, retired