Oral Surgery/Pain after extraction

It has been 12 days since I had the bottom left molar farthest back extracted ever since I have had a piece of bone next to my tongue sticking out of the socket that has been very painful and making the other teeth next to it hurt too. Is this normal? what can I do about the pain I have been taking a lot of tylenol and ibuprofen and doing a rinse but it doesn't seem to be helping much.

Matt - an area of bone sticking out of the tooth socket is not normal.  Immediately you should have yourself evaluated by a board certified oral and maxillofacial surgeon.  It might not be back, but some of these bone fragments can produce not good secondary effection.  In the meantime, until you see the surgeon, immediately begin warm salt water rinses in the area for about 4 minutes, 4-5 times a day.  So increase the rinsing and see a surgeon for an evaluation.

Oral Surgery

Joel S. Teig, DMD, Diplomate ABOMS, retired

I am a board certified oral and maxillofacial surgeon available to answer questions related to tooth extractions, implant insertion, facial recontruction, facial and oral tumor removal, TMJ dysfunction and various successful treatments, including surgery if all else fails, and occlusal discrepancy requiring orthognathic or jaw surgery.

Board Certified Oral and Maxillofacial Surgeon practicing for over 20 years. Assistant Clincal Professor at State University School of Dentistry.

American Dental Association, American Association of Oral and Maxillofacial Surgeons, American Board of Oral and Maxillofacial Surgeons

BA- University of Connecticut DMD-University of Pennsylvania School of Dental Medicine Oral and Maxillofacial Surgical Residency - Roosevelt Hospital, NYC