Oral Surgery/Post extraction wisdom tooth infection?

Question
Hello,

So I got my wisdom teeth out on Feb 15th and have been having problems with my lower right extraction site ever since. 1 week after the surgery I was still very swollen and feared I might have a dry socket so I went back to my dentist and he assured me that I did not have a dry socket or infection but gave me more antibidocs anyways. I was on antibiodics up until March 3 and on march 5th began to notice green puss oozing from the lower right extraction site. I went to my school dentist ( as I am in university and was not able to go to my home dentist) and the dentist there drained my extraction site and said I had a slight infection 10mm deep. I was booked in for an appointment to have the site curetted and stitched on march 7th. However when I went to my appointment another dentist said that I did not have an infection and gave me a syringe to irrigate the hole after every meal. I have been doing that religiously but on March 10th I noticed slight puss coming out of the hole again! Today (monday the 11th) I called the oral surgeon again and told them what was going on and the lady at reception suggested that I should keep washing the area out and that slight puss isnt anything to worry about because that just indicates the area is draining?

Anyways, my question is should I be concerned with this puss? the area isnt swollen and I dont have any pain, other than the occasional achy sensation after I poke my gum near the hole to let the puss come out. I have a follow up appoint march 21 but I dont know if I should wait that long to see the dentist because Im afraid the hole will close and puss still be in there.

Answer
If you continue to have concerns you should definitely insist that the oral surgeon see you.  If they are not able to, then I would suggest getting another opinion from another oral surgeon.  It is not normal for there to be pus inside the socket at this stage.

Dr. Jeff Bressman
www.omfsurg.com

Oral Surgery

Jeff Bressman, DDS, Diplomate ABOMS