Oral Surgery/problem for 12 years

Question
Dr. Teig - I am so scared to write this for fear that I will be told once again that there is no hope for my condition.  Long story short - I'm 58 years old - had wisdom tooth removal at 21.  It was the most painful experience I've ever had.  It was infected.  Developed fistula over site of extraction - drained for at least 10 years monthly (stinky!). Dentists, ENT's, oral surgeons couldn't help - nothing ever showed up on MRI's or CAT scans.  All upper molars were pulled (they almost fell out). I still have mucous drainage behind my front teeth and on the right side of my mouth where teeth were extracted - sticky, sometimes sweet, choking, such annoying drainage - all day, every day, every minute! I don't know what's kept me sane!  I was diagnosed with osteocronosis/osteomyelitis 6 years ago and had two surgeries to remove diseased jawbone.  I'm still experiencing horrible sinus condition with mucous drainage in my mouth constantly.  It's been 12 years this April and I'm about ready to give up.  Please help me, if you can!  Thank you in advance.

Faye

Answer
Faye - I am so sorry to hear about all you have endured.  Have the doctors who have evaluated you ever try any medication other than antibiotics?  Were you evaluated by private doctors or at a medical center?  If you get back to me I'll try to see what I can do to help.

Oral Surgery

Joel S. Teig, DMD, Diplomate ABOMS, retired