Oral Surgery/White spot that shows on x-ray

Question
My daughter (20 yrs. old) went to a new dentist about a wisdom tooth in the lower left jaw that is giving her some trouble. The dentist told her she would need to see an oral surgeon to have it removed. A white spot could be seen on the x-ray below the root of the tooth. He said, "That shouldn't be there. You should probably have that checked out." He gave her no indication of what it might be or who to have check it out. I was not with her and now I have questions and concerns. What are the possibilities and what kind of doctor does she go to next?

Answer
Kristi, Thank you for your question. There are many possibilities. Since I can not see the radiograph, there is no way I could even give you an opinion. There are white things that present in the jaw that can be nothing to worry about and there are things that can be serious. The only way to tell is to see an oral and maxillofacial surgeon for their opinion. Location of white spots on the radiograph is also important. Can you upload the radiograph or e-mail it to me?

Oral Surgery

James M. Ryan. DDS, MS; Board Certified Oral and Maxillofacial Surgeon