Oral Surgery/Bone Graft

I had a bone graft done 8 days ago. I'm not sure what type of graft it was or what material was used. The graft was done after an implant failure 3 days prior, where #7 used to be. The surgeon evaluated it 2 days ago, and said it was healing just fine. My concern now is that the collagen membrane is beginning to come out, and appears to only be held in by my gum on one side and a single stitch across it. I have a pretty large opening in the gum over the graft, and I'm worried that there will be nothing to protect the graft should the last dissolving stitch fall out and the collagen membrane be lost along with it. Should I go back to my dentist tomorrow and have this looked at again? I'm not sure if there will be a surgeon there, as it is a dental group. I know for sure that my surgeon is only there on Mondays.

Sheryl - The gum tissue over a graft can occasionally have the collagen membrane begin to become exposed and work its way out.  If done correctly the graft may still be vital and be successful.  It is important that the area be examined now.  I understand that at a group practice, specialists come and go and are not there always. I suggest that you contact the office and arrange with them to have them find out where the surgeon is to have him evaluate it.  If it is not possible, have him examine you on Monday.  

Keep the area clean with warm salt water rinses until the area gets examined.  I wish you well an hope the area heals well, but get it checked.  

Oral Surgery

Joel S. Teig, DMD, Diplomate ABOMS, retired

I am a board certified oral and maxillofacial surgeon available to answer questions related to tooth extractions, implant insertion, facial recontruction, facial and oral tumor removal, TMJ dysfunction and various successful treatments, including surgery if all else fails, and occlusal discrepancy requiring orthognathic or jaw surgery.

Board Certified Oral and Maxillofacial Surgeon practicing for over 20 years. Assistant Clincal Professor at State University School of Dentistry.

American Dental Association, American Association of Oral and Maxillofacial Surgeons, American Board of Oral and Maxillofacial Surgeons

BA- University of Connecticut DMD-University of Pennsylvania School of Dental Medicine Oral and Maxillofacial Surgical Residency - Roosevelt Hospital, NYC