Oral Surgery/Bone spur after extraction?

Question
Hello Doctor, 2 1/2 weeks ago I had the 2nd from the last upper molar removed after a failed root canal.The actual extraction took about 30 seconds and things seemed to be healing well except that I felt a sharp point right above where the tooth was removed. I went back to the dentist, who told me that this was a bone I was feeling, due to him rocking the tooth back and forth during removal. He said the body would remodel over it, and if not, when I go back into to have my implant consultation in a few months he could "shave it off". Does this sound right? It feels like a tooth pick is trying to push it's way out of the side of my gum. Any advice would be appreciated.

Answer
Christina - Your dentist is not correct.  This sharp area can perforate the gum tissue and cause an infection.  The dentist is probably not skilled in properly correcting this problem.  You should probably have an oral and maxillofacial surgeon correct this problem before a problem occurs. If your dentist was good, he should refer you now.

Oral Surgery

Joel S. Teig, DMD, Diplomate ABOMS, retired