You are here:

Oral Surgery/Complication from dental implant


Self image
Self image  
QUESTION: After my implant, I was given a flipper. It hurt after wearing it a couple of hours, but thought that was normal. Then I slept with it.  Next morning, I was in so much pain I couldn't stand it. Took narcotic while waiting for my app't. at Midwestern Univ. teaching clinic. They did surgery that day finding a clear liquid sac (no pus) in the cavity next to the implant. Dr. lanced it, then sutured it. Pain gone, but I now have a large ridge running down the roof of my mouth, can't eat anything except liquids and wonder if this incident is "normal" following #9 extraction and implant? I have 3 other implants and all feel fine. My left nostril also now runs more than the right one. A nurse.

ANSWER: Ferris -  Of course, I cannot be completely sure without examining you, but it sounds like the doctor may have perforated the floor of the nose in placing the implant or drilling the bone for the implant.  The doctor needs to examine and x-ray the area.  If the doctor questions the need or refuses and the area does not clean, make an appointment with a board certified oral and maxillofacial surgeon.  If the symptoms do not get better, get this area checked as soon as possible.

---------- FOLLOW-UP ----------

QUESTION: Thank you, and I did seek the dr. at Midwestern who stated while doing the surgery to scrape the roof of my mouth he saw that the implant had not been placed far enough into the bone, so he added some demineralization at the tip of the implant to help stimulate the bone growth.  I still have a very swollen ridge at the roof of my mouth, and am still unable to put in my flipper.  I have a missing front #9!  One thing I have noticed is I am not waking up with headaches and my sinuses seem very open now.  (Maybe it is the amoxicillin)? Since these implants were done at a clinic in Los Algodones, Mexico, I am having the univ. do 3-D photos of the other 3 implants to make sure they are in properly.  Is there anything else you would recommend?

Ferris -  I would definitely suggest to evaluate this problem, only a board certified oral and maxillofacial surgeon should do it.  This problem requires a doctor who is fully knowledgeable in the anatomy of the area and an oral and maxillofacial surgeon is such a doctor.  Like your experience in Mexico, there are many dentists in the U.S. who also attempt implant placement without complete knowledge of surgery and the anatomy of the particular area.

I wish you well and hope you problem resolves.

Oral Surgery

All Answers

Answers by Expert:

Ask Experts


Joel S. Teig, DMD, Diplomate ABOMS, retired


I am a board certified oral and maxillofacial surgeon available to answer questions related to tooth extractions, implant insertion, facial recontruction, facial and oral tumor removal, TMJ dysfunction and various successful treatments, including surgery if all else fails, and occlusal discrepancy requiring orthognathic or jaw surgery.


Board Certified Oral and Maxillofacial Surgeon practicing for over 20 years. Assistant Clincal Professor at State University School of Dentistry.

American Dental Association, American Association of Oral and Maxillofacial Surgeons, American Board of Oral and Maxillofacial Surgeons

BA- University of Connecticut DMD-University of Pennsylvania School of Dental Medicine Oral and Maxillofacial Surgical Residency - Roosevelt Hospital, NYC

©2017 All rights reserved.