Oral Surgery/gum pain

I had all my teeth pulled but the upper and lower front about 4 months ago and I still have horrible gum pain on my right side, the dentist said everything healed up and there should be no pain, but its awful the only thing that seems to help is really cold water and that only works for a few minutes I feel like i'm crazy what could cause such pain?

Pamela -  Of course, without examining you or viewing xrays of the area, it is a little difficult for me to be sure.  Saying that, the fact that you are experiencing pain, indicates that there might be an infection, there could be inflammation of the bone in the area of the extractions or there could be damage to the jaw bone.  If you dentist is unable to come up with a cause, I suggest that you make an appointment with an oral and maxillofacial surgeon to evaluate you.  It is not worth putting yourself through this pain.  Let the surgeon arrive at a cause and help to stop the problem.

I wish you well and hope you feel better soon.  As a suggestion, it might not be a bad idea to do warm salt water rinses in the areas of the extractions for about 2-3 minutes, 4-5 times a day.  Often the warm salt water can help eliminate any trapped infectious fluids and encourage a quicker healing.

Oral Surgery

Joel S. Teig, DMD, Diplomate ABOMS, retired

I am a board certified oral and maxillofacial surgeon available to answer questions related to tooth extractions, implant insertion, facial recontruction, facial and oral tumor removal, TMJ dysfunction and various successful treatments, including surgery if all else fails, and occlusal discrepancy requiring orthognathic or jaw surgery.

Board Certified Oral and Maxillofacial Surgeon practicing for over 20 years. Assistant Clincal Professor at State University School of Dentistry.

American Dental Association, American Association of Oral and Maxillofacial Surgeons, American Board of Oral and Maxillofacial Surgeons

BA- University of Connecticut DMD-University of Pennsylvania School of Dental Medicine Oral and Maxillofacial Surgical Residency - Roosevelt Hospital, NYC