Oral Surgery/recurrent cyst

Hi, I had a cyst in 1999 and had surgery  during the surgery 4 teeth were removed. The cyst again came back in 2001 and had it removed again and after the biopsy it was reported as Keratocyst. Then again in 2003 it came back the cyst was removed and the biopsy came as keratocyst. Since then I was well but recently I had some problem and found out that the cyst came back and this time it has spread a lot of are in my right mandible. The doctor is now saying that it will need a big surgery maybe a jaw replacement. The doctor took out as much possible of the cyst and sent out for biopsy and the same result it's a keratocyst. But before the jaw replacement the doctor went for a conservative way of treatment by putting a antiseptic pouch in the area and she suggested that this will pull the cyst towards it and then she can remove the cyst later on to avoid jaw replacement. What is the chance of this working. Can the jaw replacement surgery be avoided? Really worried. Is there any other way to remove the cyst or destroy it so it doesn't come back again. My First surgery was done in Bangladesh. The 2nd and 3rd one was done in Toronto General Hospital by the head of Maxilofacial and Dental Department. My recent one is done in Mount Elizabeth Hospital Singapore. Thanks and waiting for your reply."

I am sorry that you are going through all this. This is the most debated cyst in maxillofacial region. I prefer aggressive treatment to avoid recurrence. Your surgeon is probably trying to perform marsupialization.  This should work if you follow up routinely with your surgeon. Once it becomes smaller, then I prefer an aggressive approach. Hope this helps.  

Oral Surgery

Majid Jamali, D.M.D. Fellowship trained in corrective jaw surgery

Diplomate, American Board of Oral & Maxillofacial Surgery Full scope Oral & Maxillofacial Surgery, Orthognathic Surgery, Genioplasty and Anesthesiology I have completed an additional two years of fellowships in orthognathic surgery and anesthesiology field.

Faculty at numerous hospitals

New York Dental Society Journal

Tufts University: Dental School SUNY Down-State Medical Center: OMFS residency Robertwood Johnson Medical Center: Anesthesiology fellowship Lenox Hill hospital: Orthognathic fellowship