Oral Surgery/vertical crack molar

Question
my 80 year old mom was informed by her dentist she has a vertical crack lower molar. the dentist has recommended a crown. do you concur ? thank you.

Answer
Steve - The treatment of a vertical crack with a new crown is proper if the crack is only in the crown of the tooth and does not go lower.  So what you need to do, is to have the dentist show you where the crack is.  If it is lower than the crown of the tooth, the extraction is the appropriate treatment.

So speak with the dentist.  You can get back to me after you speak with the dentist and discover what he says.

Oral Surgery

Joel S. Teig, DMD, Diplomate ABOMS, retired