You are here:

Oral Surgery/vertical crack molar


my 80 year old mom was informed by her dentist she has a vertical crack lower molar. the dentist has recommended a crown. do you concur ? thank you.

Steve - The treatment of a vertical crack with a new crown is proper if the crack is only in the crown of the tooth and does not go lower.  So what you need to do, is to have the dentist show you where the crack is.  If it is lower than the crown of the tooth, the extraction is the appropriate treatment.

So speak with the dentist.  You can get back to me after you speak with the dentist and discover what he says.

Oral Surgery

All Answers

Answers by Expert:

Ask Experts


Joel S. Teig, DMD, Diplomate ABOMS, retired


I am a board certified oral and maxillofacial surgeon available to answer questions related to tooth extractions, implant insertion, facial recontruction, facial and oral tumor removal, TMJ dysfunction and various successful treatments, including surgery if all else fails, and occlusal discrepancy requiring orthognathic or jaw surgery.


Board Certified Oral and Maxillofacial Surgeon practicing for over 20 years. Assistant Clincal Professor at State University School of Dentistry.

American Dental Association, American Association of Oral and Maxillofacial Surgeons, American Board of Oral and Maxillofacial Surgeons

BA- University of Connecticut DMD-University of Pennsylvania School of Dental Medicine Oral and Maxillofacial Surgical Residency - Roosevelt Hospital, NYC

©2017 All rights reserved.