Oral Surgery/Hard lump inside tongue

Question
"Hi
I have noticed about 5 months ago a hard lump inside my tounge on the left side about an half inch from the tip. It is not painful and there is no lesion on the outside of my tongue. I showed my dentist who said the tissue looked healthily and didnt think it was anythig serious. I have also being seeing an ent ad he looked at it. He said as long as it doesn't grow there should be any need to remove it. I had surgery to remove some swollen lymph nodes n my neck a few weeks ago. The biopsy came back benign reactive lymph nodes. The lump is still in my tongue. Could these two things have anything to do with one another. I also had a ct scan of my neck with contrast but I am not exactly sure if or showed my tongue. I was a social smoker when I was younger. I am 29. I rarely drink. Could tongue cancer appear this way? What else could it be and showed I be worried since both my dentist and ent are not?"

Answer
Kim -  without examining you I cannot be sure, but cancer usually involves a breakdown of the overlying mucosa and the appearance of an angry ulceration.  

As far as what is there, it sounds more like a benign area.

You should relax, especially since the ENT doctor saw nothing dramatic.

Oral Surgery

Joel S. Teig, DMD, Diplomate ABOMS, retired