Oral Surgery/herbert screws?

Question
hey,
   My dad has had reconstructive surgery on his jaw in 1987. he is now feeling pain after 26 years. he had a jaw and chin replacement. the maxillofacial he went to needs to know what kind of screw was used. we went to the hospital and tried to get records and they have been destroyed because it was over 10 years. I have done research on my own and I found the Herbert screws were available in 1978. do you think that this could be the screw that they used in his surgery?

Answer
Kayla - back in 1978 the Herbert screw was available, but mostly it was used for fractures that required compression to encourage healing.  If your father had reconstructive surgery and the doctor who performed the surgery was experienced he most likely made sure that the segments were not under any pressure to be pulled apart.

So were the Herbert screws used?  I just don't know.  I'm sure the surgeon wants to know to help determine the materials used in the fabrication and to see if those materials are a possible cause of the pain.

I wish I could be more helpful

Oral Surgery

Joel S. Teig, DMD, Diplomate ABOMS, retired