Oral Surgery/Pain and numbness after wisdom tooth removal

Question
Hello.  I am 28 years old.  I had all 4 wisdom teeth removed a week ago.  I am experiencing numbness on my lower right chin and lip.  I have heard this was normal.  It's more annoying than anything.  However that sensation is trumped by the pain I have in my lower right front teeth, from the center to my canine.  There feels like there is a lot of pressure and almost like there is something really cold on my teeth.  It is a really sharp constant pain.  Any idea what this could be from?  Thanks for your help.

Answer
Jessi - It is a little difficult for me to be completely sure, but the nerve that was traumatized, causing the numbness in chin and lip, also provides sensations for the lower right front teeth.  So, the altered sensations you are feeling is mostly likely due to nerve injury.  

The other possible cause could be related to the numbness also.  If the area is numb, your chewing may have traumatized those teeth.  

I, of course, cannot tell you which is the cause, your should contact the doctor who removed the teeth to not only advise him of the numbness, but the pain.  The doctor should examine you.

If you have additional questions, feel free to contact me again.

Oral Surgery

Joel S. Teig, DMD, Diplomate ABOMS, retired