Oral Surgery/Pain and numbness after wisdom tooth removal

Hello.  I am 28 years old.  I had all 4 wisdom teeth removed a week ago.  I am experiencing numbness on my lower right chin and lip.  I have heard this was normal.  It's more annoying than anything.  However that sensation is trumped by the pain I have in my lower right front teeth, from the center to my canine.  There feels like there is a lot of pressure and almost like there is something really cold on my teeth.  It is a really sharp constant pain.  Any idea what this could be from?  Thanks for your help.

Jessi - It is a little difficult for me to be completely sure, but the nerve that was traumatized, causing the numbness in chin and lip, also provides sensations for the lower right front teeth.  So, the altered sensations you are feeling is mostly likely due to nerve injury.  

The other possible cause could be related to the numbness also.  If the area is numb, your chewing may have traumatized those teeth.  

I, of course, cannot tell you which is the cause, your should contact the doctor who removed the teeth to not only advise him of the numbness, but the pain.  The doctor should examine you.

If you have additional questions, feel free to contact me again.

Oral Surgery

Joel S. Teig, DMD, Diplomate ABOMS, retired

I am a board certified oral and maxillofacial surgeon available to answer questions related to tooth extractions, implant insertion, facial recontruction, facial and oral tumor removal, TMJ dysfunction and various successful treatments, including surgery if all else fails, and occlusal discrepancy requiring orthognathic or jaw surgery.

Board Certified Oral and Maxillofacial Surgeon practicing for over 20 years. Assistant Clincal Professor at State University School of Dentistry.

American Dental Association, American Association of Oral and Maxillofacial Surgeons, American Board of Oral and Maxillofacial Surgeons

BA- University of Connecticut DMD-University of Pennsylvania School of Dental Medicine Oral and Maxillofacial Surgical Residency - Roosevelt Hospital, NYC