Oral Surgery/Still having socket pain after tooth extraction

Question
Hello, I am concerned about pain after having an extraction and bone graft. I had tooth #19 removed 4 weeks ago, after 4 months of continuous pain, preparation for a crown, and a root canal which didn't help. The tooth was supposedly fractured, but there was no evidence of this on x-ray, and the endodontist did not see a fracture when the root canal was done. A bone graft was done the day of extraction to prepare for an eventual implant. The socket still hurts quite a bit even after extraction. When I have called the dentist's office, the tech tells me that this pain is normal, but I'm not so sure. Am I just being impatient with the healing process, or do I need to insist on seeing the dentist?

Thank you for your help.

Answer
Ann -  you are absolutely correct to doubt the presence of the pain this long.  First of all, if the tooth being extracted was painful, a bone graft should not have been placed after the extraction.  Pain needs to be gone before a graft placed.  Why-because it could be inflammation or infection in the area and in either situation a graft should not be placed. A bone graft needs the area to be healthy.  

You need to have the dentist examine you.  If you do not get a result you are satisfied with, it might be best to have a board certified oral and maxillofacial surgeon examine you.  The pain is not normal 4 weeks later and the tech is the wrong person to even give a reason.  

It is possible after the extraction you developed an inflammatory condition called a dry socket and the graft was placed on it.  I cannot tell you, but there are a few reasons for continued pain and it needs to be evaluated properly.

By the way, you are not being impatient. The pain should be gone now.  

Oral Surgery

Joel S. Teig, DMD, Diplomate ABOMS, retired