Oral Surgery/Wisdom tooth removal 1week ago

Question
Hello
Last week I had my two left wisdom teeth removed. The top one was out in no time but my bottom one was worked on for almost an hour before the oral sergon got it fully removed. The lower one was impacted and stitched up (my stitches fell out yesterday) My concern is with my top socket, I look at it tonight and it doesn't appear to have a blood clot in it. I'm not sure if it should at this point but I still have to take pain medication (extra strength ibuprofen) a couple times throughout the day and I notice everyone on a while I get a funny taste in my mouth. The pain is a dull throbbing around my upper socket and I have some swelling of my gums and face still from my lower tooth being removed and I'm not able to open my mouth very wide yet. I rinse my mouth after eating with warm salt water and i stay away from straws. I don't smoke, I've stayed away from exercising and solid foods. I'm wondering if I have dry socket? Thanks for your help!

Answer
Good morning,

I hope by now you are feeling a little better.

You might have had a dry socket. As the procedure prolongs, the chances of D.S. is higher. Your lack of able to open is from the lengthy surgery on the top tooth. It will get better. you have to keep stretching your muscles by opening and closing.  Occasional you might get a referral pain from the lower tooth, shooting up. At this point if the pain is still there, I suggest you see your surgeon and be treated for dry socket.  

Oral Surgery

Majid Jamali, D.M.D. Fellowship trained in corrective jaw surgery