Oral Surgery/Biologic therapy post-bone graft

In Jan 2013, you answered some questions related to an infection in my palate and my upcoming bone graft. I am waiting for my appointment with my surgeon for follow-up. My UC has taken a turn for the worse, and my GI specialist has recommended that I begin an anti-TNF biologic. While I do plan to discuss this with my surgeon, I was interested in another opinion. Would the biologic be contraindicated due to my relatively recent graft? I know it can affect resolution of inflammation and retard wound healing. I'm sure there aren't a large number of patients who have undergone a graft and been on this biologic. But, your opinion would be valuable to me.

Tonya -  I am not an expert on the use of anti-TNF, but I think due to the healing effect the length of time since the graft placement is the most important factor.  If the anti-TNF is started a few weeks after graft placement then the graft would most likely be jeopardized.  If, however, that graft has been in place 4-6 months, there is a much better chance that the anti-TNF will have less effect.

Again I am not an expert.  Speak to your surgeon and have him evaluate the situation and possibly work with the gastroenterologist to develop a plan that will maximize the outcome of both situations.  

Oral Surgery

Joel S. Teig, DMD, Diplomate ABOMS, retired

I am a board certified oral and maxillofacial surgeon available to answer questions related to tooth extractions, implant insertion, facial recontruction, facial and oral tumor removal, TMJ dysfunction and various successful treatments, including surgery if all else fails, and occlusal discrepancy requiring orthognathic or jaw surgery.

Board Certified Oral and Maxillofacial Surgeon practicing for over 20 years. Assistant Clincal Professor at State University School of Dentistry.

American Dental Association, American Association of Oral and Maxillofacial Surgeons, American Board of Oral and Maxillofacial Surgeons

BA- University of Connecticut DMD-University of Pennsylvania School of Dental Medicine Oral and Maxillofacial Surgical Residency - Roosevelt Hospital, NYC