Oral Surgery/Geographic tongue

My husband suffers from geographic tongue for years now but mainly just on the left side of his tongue. Recently I noticed a red area on the tip if his tongue kind of on the underneith lateral border and is has a white border underneith it. It comes and goes. Could this be geograpgic tongue ? Can it occur in this location? Is this anything to be concerned about since it comes and goes?

Red spot right side with white border

Few days later

I can't answer your specific medical questions.  However, I can tell you that geographic tongue can occur on any region of the tongue.  Having said this, it is a good idea for you to have your husband see a board certified oral surgeon for evaluation.

Dr. Jeff Bressman

Oral Surgery

Jeff Bressman, DDS, Diplomate ABOMS

I am a board certified oral and maxillofacial surgeon with over 24 years of experience. The majority of my practice involves dental implants, removal of wisdom teeth, treatment of areas of oral pathology. Please note that this site is designed for general information and I can not give you medical advice specific for you.

I have over 24 years of private practice experience

American Association of Oral and Maxillofacial Surgery, Fellow American Board of Oral and Maxillofacial Surgery, Diplomate National Dental Board of Anesthesia, Fellow American Dental Society for Anesthesia

BS, University of Illinois with honors DDS, University of Illinois, with high honors Board Certified, American Board of Oral and Maxillofacial Surgery