Oral Surgery/gum ulceration

Question
around 10 days ago I was vigorously brushing my back teeth and I developed a tender spot on my gum. I went to my regular dentist for my regular checkup and told him about it. he checked it out took & xray and told me it would heal on its own, just to use a salt rinse. is there anything I can purchase that would aid the healing and how long will it take to completely go away.

Answer
Obviously difficult to tell without seeing you.  Most ulcerations heal within 2 weeks.  If it does not, it would be a good idea for you to see a board certified oral surgeon for evaluation to make sure that it is not something more serious.

Dr. Jeff Bressman
www.omfsurg.com

Oral Surgery

Jeff Bressman, DDS, Diplomate ABOMS