Oral Surgery/Jaw Problems and Sudden Lisp

I have had minor issues with the left side of my jaw popping for several years, possibly brought on by wearing Invisalign orthodontia. I suspect it might be TMJ, though I haven't been formally examined. I was instructed to wear the last set of aligners occasionally at night to act as a retainer. This week, after not wearing for a couple weeks, I put the aligners in. When I woke up, the right side of my jaw seemed misaligned, it was painful, hard to open my mouth, and I heard cracking and popping in my ear. The pain, sounds, and mobility issues seem to have mostly subsided, but I am now experiencing a slight lisp when pronouncing /s/ sounds. I have never before experienced speech impediments. Will this subside as well, or is it a more serious problem for which I should seek treatment?

Thanks for your help.

I hope it subsides.  But you have to be examined. I suggest to see a board certified oral surgeon who does jaw surgeries and a good orthodontist.  Maybe Invisalign was not the answer to your problem.  But you should be seen soon before further damage to TMJ.  

Oral Surgery

Majid Jamali, D.M.D. Fellowship trained in corrective jaw surgery

Diplomate, American Board of Oral & Maxillofacial Surgery Full scope Oral & Maxillofacial Surgery, Orthognathic Surgery, Genioplasty and Anesthesiology I have completed an additional two years of fellowships in orthognathic surgery and anesthesiology field.

Faculty at numerous hospitals

New York Dental Society Journal

Tufts University: Dental School SUNY Down-State Medical Center: OMFS residency Robertwood Johnson Medical Center: Anesthesiology fellowship Lenox Hill hospital: Orthognathic fellowship