Oral Surgery/Post Op question

I got all 4 of my impacted wisdom teeth removed on Thursday (6/13/13) so about 4 days ago. And on the first day it was just the usual jaw pain with a little throat pain but it wasnt bad so I ignored it. Well today I woke up and my throat was killing me. Felt like someone was taking a knife and just jabbing it into my throat over and over. Its gotten so bad to the point that when I talk I start crying because of the pain. So I took a flash light and held my tongue down to look at the back of my throat. Well behind my right jaw line, on the upper inside area of my throat, right next to the uvula, there is a large, quarter-sized white spot surrounded by bright red. the only term that comes to mind to describe it is like a very very large canker sore. Is this something I need to call my oral surgeon back about or will I have to wait it out. I am currently on clyndimicin (antibiotic), a mouth rinse (which is not helping the sore) and an advil/tylenol mix instead of the Vicodin.

Kelsey - Immediately contact the surgeon.  If you have not begun warm salt water rinses begin the rinses for about 3-5 minutes, 4-5 times a day.  The surgeon may need to prescribe a different oral rinse to assist the healing.

So don't wait, call the surgeon and be seen tomorrow.  I wish you well and hope the surgeon can help you feel better soon.

Oral Surgery

Joel S. Teig, DMD, Diplomate ABOMS, retired

I am a board certified oral and maxillofacial surgeon available to answer questions related to tooth extractions, implant insertion, facial recontruction, facial and oral tumor removal, TMJ dysfunction and various successful treatments, including surgery if all else fails, and occlusal discrepancy requiring orthognathic or jaw surgery.

Board Certified Oral and Maxillofacial Surgeon practicing for over 20 years. Assistant Clincal Professor at State University School of Dentistry.

American Dental Association, American Association of Oral and Maxillofacial Surgeons, American Board of Oral and Maxillofacial Surgeons

BA- University of Connecticut DMD-University of Pennsylvania School of Dental Medicine Oral and Maxillofacial Surgical Residency - Roosevelt Hospital, NYC