Oral Surgery/remove foreign object

Question
Recently I went to dentist to having a filling.  The dental office did x-rays on me that day & thru x-rays it was found I have a screw embedded in sinus cavity area by upper jaw bone.  It was a shocker to my dentist as it was to me!  Dentist asked me questions in hopes of getting answer as to how it got there.  I have no explanation.  

I have not had any major surgery of any kind that could explain how it got there or long itís been there.  I do remember throughout my younger years I have had teeth problems on that side of my mouth, along with bloody noses, etc.  My dentist wants to refer me to oral surgeon and/or ear, nose, throat specialist to have it looked at & possibly removed.  

I was given a copy of my x-ray showing screw in my sinus cavity &
I canít stop thinking about screw embedded in my mouth & wonder if it can be removed & what are the difficulties & recovery?  Hope you can provide me some relief.

Answer
Diane - Without viewing the film of the screw or the sinus, it is a little difficult for me to be sure what you are seeing on that film.  A screw in the sinus is, of course, not normal and how did it get there?  There are, of course, some surgical corrections of fractures that need screws.  But if you have no history of surgery in the area of the screw, the only possible way it is there is from something possibly done in youth.

It is obvious that whatever I say is a shot in the dark.  See a board certified oral and maxillofacial surgeon or ENT doctor to fully evaluate the area.  Do not be shocked that other radiological exams might be necessary to better diagnose the area and there is a possibility that the only way to completely evaluate it is via surgical exposure.

I wish you well and I would be interested to know what the doctors find.

Oral Surgery

Joel S. Teig, DMD, Diplomate ABOMS, retired