Oral Surgery/severe pain


QUESTION: one month ago had regular tooth extraction R lower back, infection set in.....have tried 3 different antibiotics, had bone shaved off gum, had flap surgery.....mouth discomfort almost back to before having flap surgery and more bone removed or shaved down 5 days ago........am in a lot of discomfort and dont know where to turn...when I look in my mouth, the gum area is all white...thank you in advance for any information or suggestions you may have for me...

ANSWER: Elizabeth - I am so sorry to hear about all you have endured for the past month.  Usually, if antibiotics do not adequately eradicate the infection, the source of the infection still remains.  You don't say the type of dentist that extracted the tooth and prescribed the antibiotics, but with the prolonged time you have endured the problems, it sounds like a board certified oral and maxillofacial surgeon was not the doctor who extracted the tooth or treated you.  

If you have not begun, you need to immediately begin warm salt water rinses for a full  
5 minutes, 4-5 times a day.  That will help to calm the area down, but the source of the infections needs to be determined.  For that reason you need to see a board certified oral and maxillofacial surgeon.  If for some reason you are not familiar with one, get back to me and tell me where in British Columbia you live, and I will try to find a board certified oral and maxillofacial surgeon near you.

---------- FOLLOW-UP ----------

QUESTION: Thank you very much for your reply, went to dentist, not specialist today...attempted to do x ray but could not open my mouth wide or long enough, pain in jaw area....now he is speaking to my family doctor regards referring me to see ear,nose,throat specialist ASAP......will do salt rinses more often than having been doing.....I live in Penticton BC, Canada....it was a doctor in walk in clinic that prescribed first antibiotic, dentist on the 2nd and the emergency at the hospital that prescribed the third......thank you again....

Elizabeth - Ear, Nose and Throat doctors are skilled in their field, but they are not trained in dental problems.  You need an office that has a panoramic xray machine that can take dental xrays with your mouth closed.  I have done a little research and I found a dental office in Penticton that does oral surgery and probably has the panoramic xray.  I suggest you find Dr. Thomas Rahkola in Picticton to better evaluate your situation.

I wish you well and hope that doctor can define the problem.  If you have additional questions, feel free to contact me again.

Oral Surgery

All Answers

Answers by Expert:

Ask Experts


Joel S. Teig, DMD, Diplomate ABOMS, retired


I am a board certified oral and maxillofacial surgeon available to answer questions related to tooth extractions, implant insertion, facial recontruction, facial and oral tumor removal, TMJ dysfunction and various successful treatments, including surgery if all else fails, and occlusal discrepancy requiring orthognathic or jaw surgery.


Board Certified Oral and Maxillofacial Surgeon practicing for over 20 years. Assistant Clincal Professor at State University School of Dentistry.

American Dental Association, American Association of Oral and Maxillofacial Surgeons, American Board of Oral and Maxillofacial Surgeons

BA- University of Connecticut DMD-University of Pennsylvania School of Dental Medicine Oral and Maxillofacial Surgical Residency - Roosevelt Hospital, NYC

©2017 About.com. All rights reserved.