Oral Surgery/Tongue

My husband who suffers from geographic tongue has a red spot with a white line underneith it on the underneith side of his tongue . Could this be geograpgic tounge or something else. Should he go to his dentist to have it looked at? I am always worried about cancer since he does use smokeless tobacco.

Kim - That are of slight redness on the underside of the tongue appears to be inflammatory in origin.  What is causing the inflammation is the question. It could have been something eaten that produced the inflammation.  So it does not appear anything to worry about.

Oral Surgery

Joel S. Teig, DMD, Diplomate ABOMS, retired

I am a board certified oral and maxillofacial surgeon available to answer questions related to tooth extractions, implant insertion, facial recontruction, facial and oral tumor removal, TMJ dysfunction and various successful treatments, including surgery if all else fails, and occlusal discrepancy requiring orthognathic or jaw surgery.

Board Certified Oral and Maxillofacial Surgeon practicing for over 20 years. Assistant Clincal Professor at State University School of Dentistry.

American Dental Association, American Association of Oral and Maxillofacial Surgeons, American Board of Oral and Maxillofacial Surgeons

BA- University of Connecticut DMD-University of Pennsylvania School of Dental Medicine Oral and Maxillofacial Surgical Residency - Roosevelt Hospital, NYC