Oral Surgery/Tongue

I asked you a few weeks ago about a red and white spot on my husbands tongue. I really am convinced this is geographic tongue because the spot is back and covering a larger area with red center and crazy white borders. Do you still think this is not geographic tongue? If not what could it be? Any way this is cancer? It went away then came back.

Last week

When it went away

Kim - Due to the size of the area and the minimal changes that show on the pictures, this is not truly a geographic tongue.  It is an area that becomes irritated and the white fringe is just the thickening of the tongue cells there from the irritation.

You have to relax.  There is nothing wrong.  If you truly want to have him properly evaluated, you need to have him physically examined by a board certified oral and maxillofacial surgeon.

Oral Surgery

Joel S. Teig, DMD, Diplomate ABOMS, retired

I am a board certified oral and maxillofacial surgeon available to answer questions related to tooth extractions, implant insertion, facial recontruction, facial and oral tumor removal, TMJ dysfunction and various successful treatments, including surgery if all else fails, and occlusal discrepancy requiring orthognathic or jaw surgery.

Board Certified Oral and Maxillofacial Surgeon practicing for over 20 years. Assistant Clincal Professor at State University School of Dentistry.

American Dental Association, American Association of Oral and Maxillofacial Surgeons, American Board of Oral and Maxillofacial Surgeons

BA- University of Connecticut DMD-University of Pennsylvania School of Dental Medicine Oral and Maxillofacial Surgical Residency - Roosevelt Hospital, NYC