Oral Surgery/Bad breath

Question
Good evening doctor
i have very bad breath in my mouth i brush 2 times a day even after 3hrs it comes again its a very shameful to talk to my friends and teacher they reply me that i have bad breath pls help me how to get rid of my problem i regularly brush 3times for about 15 mins with pepsodent pls help.

Answer
Sallu - there are a few causes of bad breath.  The most common cause is dental plaque that attaches to teeth.  Unfortunately, brushing alone does not remove all or enough. In addition to brushing the teeth, you need to clean between your teeth at least twice a day with dental floss.  Floss is not just stuck in between the teeth and removed.  Once placed between the teeth, you need to rub against the surfaces of both teeth making up the space,  

Besides the above, the most common place which holds a tremendous amount of oral bacteria that contributes to a bad breath is the tongue.  The top surface of the tongue needs to be brushed with tooth paste, not too roughly done, twice a day.  You should notice a difference within a few days.

If the above don't help, the other possibilities are the sinus and the stomach.  So try the above first and if it doesn't help within a few days, have your physician examine you for the sinus and stomach.

Oral Surgery

Joel S. Teig, DMD, Diplomate ABOMS, retired