Oral Surgery/Bone graft

Question
Had a bone graft one week ago today in preparation for an implant. The stitches and packing have all come out. I saw my doctor today and was told there was nothing that could be done. My question is should the area be restitched and covered again? Everything I am reading says that there is something he can do instead of leaving me with an open wound in my mouth. The stitches came out 5 days after surgery.

Answer
Roseann -  It is difficult to properly reclose that open wound so soon after the surgery.  You don't say if the doctor was an oral and maxillofacial surgeon who placed the graft.  For now, I suggest that you just keep the area completely clean with a very gentle warm salt water rinse.  That area needs to completely heal before anything can be properly done.  If the doctor is an oral and maxillofacial surgeon he would know that.  So for now keep the area clean and once better healed it can be evaluated if bone is still there.  If not then the procedure might need to be redone.  

I'm sorry I can't give you good news, but it is too soon to know.  So keep it clean so it heals completely.

Oral Surgery

Joel S. Teig, DMD, Diplomate ABOMS, retired