Oral Surgery/Calcified spot in jaw on x-ray

I had all 4 wisdom teeth extracted almost a month ago. The surgeon used an x-ray that I had done in July, 2012. After I had persistent sinus issues on one side following surgery, the surgeon did an x-ray to check on my sinus. When he did the follow-up x-ray, a calcified spot showed up in my jaw that was not there a year ago. He recommended that I have it out while I'm already under anesthesia to try to clear out whatever is irritating my sinus. He told me that it was most likely a supernumerary molar and that he didn't think it could be cancer.

I just wanted to know whether it is definitely a tooth forming. What else might it be? Do I definitely need to have it out, or should I ask for further investigation first?

Any advice is greatly appreciated.

Lacey - First of all, the calcified spot is on the lower jaw and the sinus is located in the upper jaw.  Not having examined you, I am questioning why the surgeon would link the calcification of the lower jaw to a problem with the sinus.  There are actually two calcified areas in the same region.  One could be a supernumerary tooth, but the second is a piece of the wisdom tooth root that was broken off during the extraction of the wisdom tooth.

Without examining you I cannot be sure, but I don't understand how the doctor links the root tip and the supernumerary tooth to the sinus.  On the there is a questionable area at the upper tooth extraction site.  Did a hole into the sinus occur during the extractions?  I just cannot tell you without examining you.  My suggestion is that you get a second opinion from a different board certified oral and maxillofacial surgeon near where you live.  If you wish, you could get back to me, tell me where you live and I can send you names of board certified doctor to help define the cause of the sinus problem.  

If you have additional questions, feel free to contact me again.  

Oral Surgery

Joel S. Teig, DMD, Diplomate ABOMS, retired

I am a board certified oral and maxillofacial surgeon available to answer questions related to tooth extractions, implant insertion, facial recontruction, facial and oral tumor removal, TMJ dysfunction and various successful treatments, including surgery if all else fails, and occlusal discrepancy requiring orthognathic or jaw surgery.

Board Certified Oral and Maxillofacial Surgeon practicing for over 20 years. Assistant Clincal Professor at State University School of Dentistry.

American Dental Association, American Association of Oral and Maxillofacial Surgeons, American Board of Oral and Maxillofacial Surgeons

BA- University of Connecticut DMD-University of Pennsylvania School of Dental Medicine Oral and Maxillofacial Surgical Residency - Roosevelt Hospital, NYC