Oral Surgery/CT scan report

Question
Hi, I had a biopsy done 1.5 years before. In follow-up appointments I told doctor that I still feel the sensitivity in that region. Then doctor asked me to get CT scan done and the report says something about the expansile focal lucency in the right maxillary alveolar region anteriorly around the roots of right upper second-fourth teeth, completely surrounding the root of the third teeth.
I have been told that I need to get operated to remove the cyst and three teeth and then implant them.
But what exactly does it mean?
How much time (in weeks) this whole procedure will take?

Answer
Manasi - I am assuming that the doctor thinks that the teeth are the cause of the problem.  Often the problem in such a case, if it comes from a tooth, only starts in one tooth and spreads but does not affect the other teeth.  That is if the area is caused from a tooth.  If, however, it is not from a tooth and comes from the bone surrounding the teeth, the bone and the teeth touching need removal.  The key question is the result of the biopsy and the diagnosis of the biopsy tissue.  

I am assuming that the biopsy shows that is not from teeth.  In that situation the bone removal along with the teeth is necessary.  I am also assuming that the surgery will create a bony defect.  If that is the situation, the doctor will place a bone graft and place dental implants(pieces of metal that can hold a dental crown) at the same time. The healing time is variable depending on what he finds, but the whole thing could take six months or so until it is healed and caps can be placed on the implants.

If you have further questions, feel free to contact me again.

Oral Surgery

Joel S. Teig, DMD, Diplomate ABOMS, retired