Oral Surgery/After Extraction

I had a tooth extracted two days ago and the pain and soreness has me a little to afraid to eat most things because I don't know if it will irritate/infect the wound or loosen my stitches. I have a sheet of patient instructions but they were a little vague, is there anything in particular I should stay away from until I can get my stitches out or am I worrying too much?

Charleigh - In general, you should stay away from chewing food for the first 48 hours after the extraction.  You can slowly begin to increase the type of foods you are able to chew.  Start with foods that are fairly soft and increase the amount of chewing necessary for the food as time goes along without any problems.  Important:  Starting now, 2 days since the extraction, you should rinse your mouth with warm salt water for about a minute in the area of the extraction after every time you eat.  

So relax and gradually increase the amount of chewing necessary.  It is not unusual for the sutures to loosen with time, so they may loosen anyway.

If you have additional questions, feel free to contact me again.

Oral Surgery

Joel S. Teig, DMD, Diplomate ABOMS, retired

I am a board certified oral and maxillofacial surgeon available to answer questions related to tooth extractions, implant insertion, facial recontruction, facial and oral tumor removal, TMJ dysfunction and various successful treatments, including surgery if all else fails, and occlusal discrepancy requiring orthognathic or jaw surgery.

Board Certified Oral and Maxillofacial Surgeon practicing for over 20 years. Assistant Clincal Professor at State University School of Dentistry.

American Dental Association, American Association of Oral and Maxillofacial Surgeons, American Board of Oral and Maxillofacial Surgeons

BA- University of Connecticut DMD-University of Pennsylvania School of Dental Medicine Oral and Maxillofacial Surgical Residency - Roosevelt Hospital, NYC