Oral Surgery/Lingual Nerve Damage

Our daughter had her lower wisdom teeth extracted on 05/28/2013 by our family dentist.  Since then she has had numbness on her right side of tongue & our dentist recommended she see an oral surgeon.  On 06/28/2013 consultation at an oral surgeon confirmed numbness and no taste on her right side of tongue and apparent damage to her lingual nerve.  That surgeon does not have the expertise to do nerve repair surgery and we are having a difficult time finding a specialist for lingual nerve repair.  Please, can you give us name/names of an oral surgeon that specializes in lingual nerve repair in Minnesota. Thanks for your help!

Lori - I too have not found any direct information about lingual nerve repair in Minnesota.   My suggestion is that you first call the department of Oral and Maxillofacial Surgery at the Mayo Clinic.  I didn't see any direct reference, but I am sure they would know who the closest doctors who do that repair.

call (507) 284-2511 and ask to have your daughter evaluated by an attending physician

If it does not work out, get back to me and I will give you names of other doctors, hopefully in adjoining states who can repair that nerve.

Oral Surgery

Joel S. Teig, DMD, Diplomate ABOMS, retired

I am a board certified oral and maxillofacial surgeon available to answer questions related to tooth extractions, implant insertion, facial recontruction, facial and oral tumor removal, TMJ dysfunction and various successful treatments, including surgery if all else fails, and occlusal discrepancy requiring orthognathic or jaw surgery.

Board Certified Oral and Maxillofacial Surgeon practicing for over 20 years. Assistant Clincal Professor at State University School of Dentistry.

American Dental Association, American Association of Oral and Maxillofacial Surgeons, American Board of Oral and Maxillofacial Surgeons

BA- University of Connecticut DMD-University of Pennsylvania School of Dental Medicine Oral and Maxillofacial Surgical Residency - Roosevelt Hospital, NYC