Oral Surgery/numbness after tooth extraction

Question
Good afternoon I had a bottom back tooth out next to my wisdom tooth on tues. 7/2. Im 37 male. My oral surgeon has high ratings and said it was not difficult when looked at on x ray so I went to sleep.  Well I have no pain but today 7/5 my chin and lower lip on the right side feel numb but I can feel my nail of my finger touching it so I guess its not total numb. Also when I move my jaw im feeling tightening around my gums and lower lip? Almost like a muscle that is been overstretched.  Is this something to worry about or will be permenant or is this is a healing process ?

Answer
Manny-  Of course without examining you I cannot be completely sure, but a partial or weak numbness can occur after the extraction of a lower molar for a number of reasons.  The numbing injection might irritated the nerve.  There may have been some bleeding into the nerve canal and that might put light pressure on the nerve and cause the numbness.  So those causes can produce the feelings you are experiencing, but they should resolve with time.  If no changes occur for the next few weeks, get back ti the surgeon to follow the numbness and decide if further treatment is needed.

Oral Surgery

Joel S. Teig, DMD, Diplomate ABOMS, retired