Oral Surgery/oralantral fistula

Question
15 years ago I had a tooth removed and a bridge put in.  Little by little since then I have had really bad sinus problems and the tooth to which the bridge is attached has always ached.  Now the tooth throbs and when I use sinus sprays I can feel them in the tooth.  I also have really terrible headaches and a constant sinus dripping down my throat which causes me to cough constantly to clear my throat as if not I can not breath and sometimes feel as if I will pass out.  Please tell me whom I should see about this issue as all dentists to date just take an x-ray and say nothing is wrong.  I really need help on this. Thank you.

Answer
Veronica -  What you describe could be a residual opening from the mouth into the sinus, from the extraction, or it could be just a continued inflammation or infection from that extraction.  Possibly there is no connection.

For this type of problem, you should make an appointment with a board certified oral and maxillofacial surgeon.  If for some reason you cannot find one, get back to me, tell me where you live and I can provide names of appropriate surgeons near you.

Oral Surgery

Joel S. Teig, DMD, Diplomate ABOMS, retired