Oral Surgery/oralantral fistula

15 years ago I had a tooth removed and a bridge put in.  Little by little since then I have had really bad sinus problems and the tooth to which the bridge is attached has always ached.  Now the tooth throbs and when I use sinus sprays I can feel them in the tooth.  I also have really terrible headaches and a constant sinus dripping down my throat which causes me to cough constantly to clear my throat as if not I can not breath and sometimes feel as if I will pass out.  Please tell me whom I should see about this issue as all dentists to date just take an x-ray and say nothing is wrong.  I really need help on this. Thank you.

Veronica -  What you describe could be a residual opening from the mouth into the sinus, from the extraction, or it could be just a continued inflammation or infection from that extraction.  Possibly there is no connection.

For this type of problem, you should make an appointment with a board certified oral and maxillofacial surgeon.  If for some reason you cannot find one, get back to me, tell me where you live and I can provide names of appropriate surgeons near you.

Oral Surgery

Joel S. Teig, DMD, Diplomate ABOMS, retired

I am a board certified oral and maxillofacial surgeon available to answer questions related to tooth extractions, implant insertion, facial recontruction, facial and oral tumor removal, TMJ dysfunction and various successful treatments, including surgery if all else fails, and occlusal discrepancy requiring orthognathic or jaw surgery.

Board Certified Oral and Maxillofacial Surgeon practicing for over 20 years. Assistant Clincal Professor at State University School of Dentistry.

American Dental Association, American Association of Oral and Maxillofacial Surgeons, American Board of Oral and Maxillofacial Surgeons

BA- University of Connecticut DMD-University of Pennsylvania School of Dental Medicine Oral and Maxillofacial Surgical Residency - Roosevelt Hospital, NYC