Oral Surgery/Possible Lawsuit - Need Second Opinion

Question
In the middle of December 2012, I had oral surgery for the removal of three teeth on the upper right side of my mouth.  No x-rays were taken before the surgery.  I am miserable since this surgery with ongoing pain, numbness on the right side of my face from over my eye, under my eye into my cheek bone and down around my mouth.  I have difficulty biting, using my tongue, causing choking during eating, a throbbing and burning tongue, a decrease in my taste sensation, speaking problems, numbness of guns on the right side and I am constantly biting my lip when I am eating causing pain and excessive bleeding.  The whole right side of my face looks different and I am extremely disgusted.  I am a businessman and at time I find these problems not only painful but embarrassing.  I returned to the oral surgeon in March of this year as I felt a sharp object piercing the tissue inside of my right cheek and I was experiencing numbness in my face.  He opened up the same surgical area and ground down a substantial amount of bone that he failed to remove during the initial surgery.  

I consulted with attorneys and was told that I need to get a second opinion from a dentist to assess the damages caused from this surgery to determine if I have recourse.  I also would like to get treatment if the problems I am experiencing can be reversed. Quite honestly, I don't know where to look to find a dentist who will give me an honest second opinion who is not local.  

I hope you can assist me or can direct me.  I live in northeast Indiana.  Thank you!

Answer
William - I am so sorry to hear about what you have been through.  There is obviously a problem created through the surgery.  Your attorney is correct in suggesting that you should seek a second opinion.  From the type of treatment you underwent, it is important that whomever you see should be a board certified oral and maxillofacial surgeon. If you wish, you can get back to me, tell me where you live and I can send you names of board certified oral and maxillofacial surgeons near where you live.  

Oral Surgery

Joel S. Teig, DMD, Diplomate ABOMS, retired