Oral Surgery/Swelling after lower jaw surgery around plate

Question
Hi , I had lower jaw advancement surgery almost 6 weeks ago . (BSSO) At 3 weeks post op I developed swelling along the suture line on the right side ,which was treated with antibiotics . ( the sutures hadn't dissolved either ,so they were removed) the swelling and pain resolved with the antibiotics.

I suddenly developed swelling and severe pain around the plate on the left side ( opposite) last night. I'm also getting some shooting pains in my teeth . (I still have a lot of numbness too )   
There doesn't appear to be any swelling on the inside of my mouth ,it's more on the outside and the plate is very tender to touch.  I'm taking pain killers and applied an ice pack this morning , do you think I should go the the emergency dept ? Do I need antibiotics?
I have an appointment on Tuesday with my surgeon & orthodontist ( today is Saturday )

Answer
Hi Sarah,

Some swelling and numbness is expected. I would be concerned if the swelling returns. That is a sign of infection, loose screw or small loose bone particles.

If the swelling is not severe, then you could wait until Tuesday. But if it is extending to your neck, you should go to E.R.

Hope you feel better.  

Oral Surgery

Majid Jamali, D.M.D. Fellowship trained in corrective jaw surgery