Oral Surgery/Tooth extraction site

extraction site 1
extraction site 1  

extraction site 2
extraction site 2  
8 days ago I had wisdom tooth extraction surgery. I had four wisdom teeth, two extra wisdom teeth, and one tooth root removed. The regular tooth root extraction site is where my concern is. I had developed three canker sores on my inner lip this past Monday evening, and now right along the edge of the socket, appearing to be right inside the socket, is what looks like a cancer sore. Can you get cancer sores inside a tooth socket extraction site? Do I need to go to my dentist again and have it checked out? There is no shooting pain as with dry socket, no odor.

Nicole  - First of all, that area on the socket is not a canker sore, but rather it looks like an area of the extraction was traumatized during the extraction.  That area will eventually heal, but to speed the healing, immediately begin a regimen of warm salt water rinses in the area for about 2-3 minutes, 4-5 times a day.

That area will eventually heal fine, but to speed the healing and decrease the chance of an infection, do the warm salt water rinses like I described.  I wish you well and hope that area heals quickly.

Oral Surgery

Joel S. Teig, DMD, Diplomate ABOMS, retired

I am a board certified oral and maxillofacial surgeon available to answer questions related to tooth extractions, implant insertion, facial recontruction, facial and oral tumor removal, TMJ dysfunction and various successful treatments, including surgery if all else fails, and occlusal discrepancy requiring orthognathic or jaw surgery.

Board Certified Oral and Maxillofacial Surgeon practicing for over 20 years. Assistant Clincal Professor at State University School of Dentistry.

American Dental Association, American Association of Oral and Maxillofacial Surgeons, American Board of Oral and Maxillofacial Surgeons

BA- University of Connecticut DMD-University of Pennsylvania School of Dental Medicine Oral and Maxillofacial Surgical Residency - Roosevelt Hospital, NYC