Oral Surgery/Tore skin between upper lip and gums

Hello, Thank you for taking the time to answer my question. I am a 19 year old male and went to the lake this afternoon and jumped off some high rocks feet first into the lake.  My mouth hit the water wrong and the skin inside my upper lip and gums tore.  It is very painful.  Do I need to get it looked at by a Dr. tonight?  Thanks so much, Scott

Scott - Depending on the exact area of the laceration, there can be exposure of areas that should be covered with the tissue.  Do yourself a favor and have the area evaluated by an oral and maxillofacial surgeon preferably, but if one is not available, a regular dentist.

I hope the area will be fine.  Any more questions, feel free to contact me again.

Oral Surgery

Joel S. Teig, DMD, Diplomate ABOMS, retired

I am a board certified oral and maxillofacial surgeon available to answer questions related to tooth extractions, implant insertion, facial recontruction, facial and oral tumor removal, TMJ dysfunction and various successful treatments, including surgery if all else fails, and occlusal discrepancy requiring orthognathic or jaw surgery.

Board Certified Oral and Maxillofacial Surgeon practicing for over 20 years. Assistant Clincal Professor at State University School of Dentistry.

American Dental Association, American Association of Oral and Maxillofacial Surgeons, American Board of Oral and Maxillofacial Surgeons

BA- University of Connecticut DMD-University of Pennsylvania School of Dental Medicine Oral and Maxillofacial Surgical Residency - Roosevelt Hospital, NYC