Oral Surgery/treatment for KCOT

I was recently diagnosed (via radiograph, CT, & biopsy) with a keratocystic odontogenic tumor in my lower left mandible. I presently have a decompression tube, hoping to shrink tumor over a course of months before surgery to remove. I have searched online in vain for information about what to expect over these months, specifically: how long will I continue to experience pain, especially after irrigating tube? When will I be able to eat solid foods again? How often to expect infections? Where are the best surgical centers in the USA/Canada for this? Any information or direction to a website would be most appreciated.  Thanks for your expertise.

Kristin - The length of time until there is a shrinkage of the lesion is quite variable.  The pain, if the procedure is reducing internal pressure, should resolve shortly.  Usually there is not too much pain.  I wish I would know the size of the tumor.  The size is what determines when solid food can be eaten.

The best surgical centers for this tumor are:  The Mayo Clinic - in Minnesota; Columbia Presbyterian Hospital - New York City; Boston General Hospital - Boston; University Of Pennsylvania Hospital.

Any of the above facilities could definitely help you.  Make sure to speak with the Department of Oral and Maxillofacial Surgery at the above hospitals.  

If you have additional questions, feel free to contact me again.

Oral Surgery

Joel S. Teig, DMD, Diplomate ABOMS, retired

I am a board certified oral and maxillofacial surgeon available to answer questions related to tooth extractions, implant insertion, facial recontruction, facial and oral tumor removal, TMJ dysfunction and various successful treatments, including surgery if all else fails, and occlusal discrepancy requiring orthognathic or jaw surgery.

Board Certified Oral and Maxillofacial Surgeon practicing for over 20 years. Assistant Clincal Professor at State University School of Dentistry.

American Dental Association, American Association of Oral and Maxillofacial Surgeons, American Board of Oral and Maxillofacial Surgeons

BA- University of Connecticut DMD-University of Pennsylvania School of Dental Medicine Oral and Maxillofacial Surgical Residency - Roosevelt Hospital, NYC