Oral Surgery/Unhappy with face shape after Jaw Surgery

Face Comparison
Face Comparison  
Hi, I am going through orthodontic treatment. I was told my upper jaw was too narrow causing a cross bite. I was told that I would need to get surgery to correct this and have my upper jaw widened. I did not realize the implications this would have on my face. I absolutely hate how my face looks now. Something is wrong with it and I want it fixed, but I don't know exactly what is wrong with it so I was hoping that you could tell me with the pictures I am providing.

In the photos, hopefully I resized them properly. My presurgery photos I weigh 145 to 155 lbs. All the other photos I weigh about 150 to 165 lbs. I workout a lot so my weight fluctuation is mostly muscle mass. Obviously in the presurgery photos I am younger.

I feel like I my face now looks fat. I also have this bizarre feature with my mouth popping out from my facial outline in the 3/4 view in the pictures.

The first jaw surgery (SARPE) was the expansion as I said and the second jaw surgery was to move my upper jaw slightly upwards and forwards, and make my lower jaw a bit longer. I only went through with the second surgery because I was hoping it would make my face look better after what happened from the first surgery.

Is there plastic surgery that can correct this? What would need to be done? Should I try to get my upper jaw reduced? Even though I would have a cross bite I would be happy with my face...

Hi Josh,

I am sorry to hear that you are not happy with the results.  I think the best thing to do is talk to your surgeon.  If not, then you should seek another oral surgeon who does orthognathic surgeries to get xrays and clinically evaluate you. Hope that works.

Oral Surgery

Majid Jamali, D.M.D. Fellowship trained in corrective jaw surgery

Diplomate, American Board of Oral & Maxillofacial Surgery Full scope Oral & Maxillofacial Surgery, Orthognathic Surgery, Genioplasty and Anesthesiology I have completed an additional two years of fellowships in orthognathic surgery and anesthesiology field.

Faculty at numerous hospitals

New York Dental Society Journal

Tufts University: Dental School SUNY Down-State Medical Center: OMFS residency Robertwood Johnson Medical Center: Anesthesiology fellowship Lenox Hill hospital: Orthognathic fellowship