Oral Surgery/Abscessed Tooth & Bactrim

I have an abscessed tooth causing pain and swelling but do not currently have insurance. However, I do have a prescription of Bactrim that was never taken bc my wife had a reaction to it. Will Bactrim work as an antibiotic for a tooth abscess? I know I will still need to see a dentist once the infection is gone...but if I can save myself the cost of the first visit, it will make a big difference financially. Thanks for any assistance/advice you can provide.

Drew - Bactrim is an antibiotic that helps to eliminate or reduce infections, but is not usually used for oral infections.  The most common cause of infection is streptococcus bacteria and Bactrim does not work well for Strep.  Sorry to tell you that but the cause of the infection needs to be addressed first by a dentist and an appropriate antibiotic used.  so unfortunately, you need to see a knowledgeable doctor for an evaluation.

Oral Surgery

Joel S. Teig, DMD, Diplomate ABOMS, retired

I am a board certified oral and maxillofacial surgeon available to answer questions related to tooth extractions, implant insertion, facial recontruction, facial and oral tumor removal, TMJ dysfunction and various successful treatments, including surgery if all else fails, and occlusal discrepancy requiring orthognathic or jaw surgery.

Board Certified Oral and Maxillofacial Surgeon practicing for over 20 years. Assistant Clincal Professor at State University School of Dentistry.

American Dental Association, American Association of Oral and Maxillofacial Surgeons, American Board of Oral and Maxillofacial Surgeons

BA- University of Connecticut DMD-University of Pennsylvania School of Dental Medicine Oral and Maxillofacial Surgical Residency - Roosevelt Hospital, NYC