Oral Surgery/caldwell luc surgery

Question
I have had cleft lip and palate repair done as a child.
I had a ct scan and they have told me that my body is rejecting the foreign material used to reconstruct my face.  It also shows low grade infection and a possible soft tissue tumor.  They are going to do surgery using the Caldwell luc procedure to remove all of the foreign material and infection. How long does this type of surgery take to perform?  I also want to know approx. how long it should be before returning to work.....I work with MRDD adults. I assist them on and off the bus plus load and unload wheelchairs.  Will it cause any problems when I have to lean way over the chairs to tighten the wheelchairs to the floor?

Also, approx. time for recovery when they do a 2nd surgery making a bone graft from my hip to reconstruct my face.

Answer
Donna -  Without examining you, it is difficult for me to predict how long the procedure will take and how long till you can perform normally again.  In general, a Caldwell Luc and removal of foreign material should be about 1-1 1/2 hours, but it depends on the amount and location of the debris in the sinus.  As long as there is no complications, it should be about 10-14 days until you can resume your normal activities.  As long as the sinus heals well, you should be able to bend over without sinus effect in a few weeks.

As far as recovery from the second surgery, that is difficult for me to predict.  It could take up to 2-3 months to get back to near normal.  

Oral Surgery

Joel S. Teig, DMD, Diplomate ABOMS, retired