Oral Surgery/corrective surgery for a receding chin

Question
I have a small overbite and receding chin. I was wondering what options are available for correcting a receding chin. Can it generally be corrected with just surgery, or are braces usually needed as well?  Do insurance companies typically cover the cost of surgery?

Thank You.

Answer
Amber -  If your bite is correct and stable and you have a receding chin, the chin can be moved forward on its own.  If, however, the lower jaw bone is small or the upper jaw is too large compared to the lower, surgery can correct the problem.  Along with the surgery, it is very important to have a stable bite so the bones heal well after the surgery.  For that reason orthodontics, often minor, is necessary to create the necessary stable bite after the surgery to encourage bony healing.

Oral Surgery

Joel S. Teig, DMD, Diplomate ABOMS, retired