You are here:

Oral Surgery/corrective surgery for a receding chin


I have a small overbite and receding chin. I was wondering what options are available for correcting a receding chin. Can it generally be corrected with just surgery, or are braces usually needed as well?  Do insurance companies typically cover the cost of surgery?

Thank You.

Amber -  If your bite is correct and stable and you have a receding chin, the chin can be moved forward on its own.  If, however, the lower jaw bone is small or the upper jaw is too large compared to the lower, surgery can correct the problem.  Along with the surgery, it is very important to have a stable bite so the bones heal well after the surgery.  For that reason orthodontics, often minor, is necessary to create the necessary stable bite after the surgery to encourage bony healing.

Oral Surgery

All Answers

Answers by Expert:

Ask Experts


Joel S. Teig, DMD, Diplomate ABOMS, retired


I am a board certified oral and maxillofacial surgeon available to answer questions related to tooth extractions, implant insertion, facial recontruction, facial and oral tumor removal, TMJ dysfunction and various successful treatments, including surgery if all else fails, and occlusal discrepancy requiring orthognathic or jaw surgery.


Board Certified Oral and Maxillofacial Surgeon practicing for over 20 years. Assistant Clincal Professor at State University School of Dentistry.

American Dental Association, American Association of Oral and Maxillofacial Surgeons, American Board of Oral and Maxillofacial Surgeons

BA- University of Connecticut DMD-University of Pennsylvania School of Dental Medicine Oral and Maxillofacial Surgical Residency - Roosevelt Hospital, NYC

©2017 All rights reserved.