Oral Surgery/Dental Implants and Osteoporsis meds

Question
I have had conflicting views of when to do implants.  My internist says do all your jaw work done before taking a
alendronate.  My Periodontist say it can be done while taking the meds.  Only 7% chance of having problems.  My regular dentist seems to agree with my MD.  I'm very confused.  Can you give me your opinion?

Thank you,
Judy

Answer
It depends on which osteoporosis medication you are taking.  Some are worse then others with regards to the risk of osteonecrosis. In general, the oral bisphosphonates have a very low risk profile of complications. To whatever extent you can do your dental work before taking the medications, that is certainly good advice.  However, because patients normally have ongoing dental needs, it is not realistic to say that you will never do any oral surgery after taking those medications.  Luckily the risk is very low.  

Oral Surgery

Jeff Bressman, DDS, Diplomate ABOMS