Oral Surgery/Help!! Am terrifired!

Question
I have EXTENSIVE dental problems, I need to have all of my remaining teeth removed-16 top and bottom-the back two are compacted and I have small sections of jaw bone showing in spots at the top of my mouth. I am exteremely afraid-I have about 5,000 dollars in cash-from an inheritance and want to know what is going to be the most cost effective, but natural looking way to go? Dentures or implants? I am sure I will have to be sedated. Thanks.

Answer
Sandra - A replacement for the teeth that need removal can be a very expensive treatment.  Implants are very expensive.  A good approach is extraction of the teeth, denture on the upper and lower teeth and a couple of implants of each upper and lower to add more stability to the denture.  That way you will be happier.  If you need sedation, it will only be for the extractions and possible implant placement.  

The most important thing is for you to have a skilled dentist and surgeon to do the implants and extraction and the dentist the denture.

I wish you well.  If you have additional questions, feel free to contact me again.

Oral Surgery

Joel S. Teig, DMD, Diplomate ABOMS, retired