Oral Surgery/Impacted Wisdom Tooth

I am wondering, if a Dentist says he can extract an impacted wisdom tooth that is laying kinda sideways in jaw line without a problem and after there is complications can he be held accountable. I mean otherwise one would have went to an OS if not! And by accountable I mean would he have breached the standard of care, I understand your not an attorney but maybe you can answer at best!!!
Thanks, Melissa

Melissa - Although a dentist might not be a skilled surgeon or a skilled orthodontist, a general dentist is legally allowed to extract a wisdom tooth or perform orthodontics on a patient.  The important thing is that all dentists need to provide an informed consent.  That consent should advise the patient of his experience and also advise of potential complications.  

Oral Surgery

Joel S. Teig, DMD, Diplomate ABOMS, retired

I am a board certified oral and maxillofacial surgeon available to answer questions related to tooth extractions, implant insertion, facial recontruction, facial and oral tumor removal, TMJ dysfunction and various successful treatments, including surgery if all else fails, and occlusal discrepancy requiring orthognathic or jaw surgery.

Board Certified Oral and Maxillofacial Surgeon practicing for over 20 years. Assistant Clincal Professor at State University School of Dentistry.

American Dental Association, American Association of Oral and Maxillofacial Surgeons, American Board of Oral and Maxillofacial Surgeons

BA- University of Connecticut DMD-University of Pennsylvania School of Dental Medicine Oral and Maxillofacial Surgical Residency - Roosevelt Hospital, NYC