Oral Surgery/implant

I had a post for implant put in and the very next day I became deathly sick  lost over 20 lbs and spent the next 15 days in the hospital with many test cat scan, mri, spinal tap and doctors from cdc. Went to primary doctor before going to hospital and they suggested I go back to the dentist. I did and he seamed to have an attitude and said nothing was wrong.  I need the procedure completed and don.t want to go back to the same dentist. but other dentist don't want to finish his work. If I didn't have health insurance I would be in broke. Release papers from hospital said I got  facial cellulitis from the oral surgery visit. What should I do??

Elaine -  I, of course, do not know your dentist or know his skills, but it is obvious that he was not secure with his treatment.  Rather than have an attitude, he should have suggested that you see an epidemiologist physician, is skilled in arriving at the source of medical problems.  

If you are still having a problem, then you need a more skilled surgeon to evaluate the area. If, however, no problem exists now, just be happy that you have healed and are healthy again.  If the implant area has no further problems then just be happy that you have healed; that is if the implant was the source of the problem.

Oral Surgery

Joel S. Teig, DMD, Diplomate ABOMS, retired

I am a board certified oral and maxillofacial surgeon available to answer questions related to tooth extractions, implant insertion, facial recontruction, facial and oral tumor removal, TMJ dysfunction and various successful treatments, including surgery if all else fails, and occlusal discrepancy requiring orthognathic or jaw surgery.

Board Certified Oral and Maxillofacial Surgeon practicing for over 20 years. Assistant Clincal Professor at State University School of Dentistry.

American Dental Association, American Association of Oral and Maxillofacial Surgeons, American Board of Oral and Maxillofacial Surgeons

BA- University of Connecticut DMD-University of Pennsylvania School of Dental Medicine Oral and Maxillofacial Surgical Residency - Roosevelt Hospital, NYC