Oral Surgery/Lesion on hard palate

I'm due to have a small lesion removed from my upper palate. It has reduced in size recently and the oral surgeon has said it has no worrying features but does not know what it is.  As I am concerned about the surgery and possible after effects are there alternatives to fully removing it as I have heard about alternatives such as an oral brush biopsy or a punch biopsy which may be less of a risk in terms of pain, healing etc?

Jo- this is a difficult question for me to answer without examining you.  It is not uncommon or inappropriate to remove the entire lesion to submit it for biopsy.  If the lesion is large, then initially a punch biopsy or only a small piece should be taken for biopsy.  So your lesion is small and it should just be removed and sent for an evaluation. So relax and let the surgeon do it.  

Oral Surgery

Joel S. Teig, DMD, Diplomate ABOMS, retired

I am a board certified oral and maxillofacial surgeon available to answer questions related to tooth extractions, implant insertion, facial recontruction, facial and oral tumor removal, TMJ dysfunction and various successful treatments, including surgery if all else fails, and occlusal discrepancy requiring orthognathic or jaw surgery.

Board Certified Oral and Maxillofacial Surgeon practicing for over 20 years. Assistant Clincal Professor at State University School of Dentistry.

American Dental Association, American Association of Oral and Maxillofacial Surgeons, American Board of Oral and Maxillofacial Surgeons

BA- University of Connecticut DMD-University of Pennsylvania School of Dental Medicine Oral and Maxillofacial Surgical Residency - Roosevelt Hospital, NYC