Oral Surgery/Lesion on hard palate

Question
I'm due to have a small lesion removed from my upper palate. It has reduced in size recently and the oral surgeon has said it has no worrying features but does not know what it is.  As I am concerned about the surgery and possible after effects are there alternatives to fully removing it as I have heard about alternatives such as an oral brush biopsy or a punch biopsy which may be less of a risk in terms of pain, healing etc?

Answer
Jo- this is a difficult question for me to answer without examining you.  It is not uncommon or inappropriate to remove the entire lesion to submit it for biopsy.  If the lesion is large, then initially a punch biopsy or only a small piece should be taken for biopsy.  So your lesion is small and it should just be removed and sent for an evaluation. So relax and let the surgeon do it.  

Oral Surgery

Joel S. Teig, DMD, Diplomate ABOMS, retired