Oral Surgery/Maxillofacial surgery

Question
I recently had maxillofacial surgery in April for a class3 malocclusion.  The original reason why I was referred to the maxillofacial surgeon was to correct my underbite.

The original plan was to move my bottom jaw back approximately 3.5-4mm and slightly move the top jaw forward.  However the day of my surgery after they set me up with an IVY the nurse said "ok, so you are having corrective surgery for sleep apnea."  Needless to say I was shocked and felt trapped.  The surgeon ended up moving my top jaw forward 8mm''s and left my bottom jaw alone. .  Which was something that we never discussed.  

I was very displeased with the results of the surgery.  The surgeon said initially that the movement was going to be very subtle and not change my appearance drastically.  I was very sell conscience about my bottom jaw pretruding and now it is the top jaw that is pretruding.

I have another surgery scheduled next week.   The game plan is to move the top jaw back 4mm's and slightly move the bottom jaw back 2mm's and rotate the jaw counter-clockwise  to minimize the amount of movement of the bottom jaw so that it doesn't trigger my sleep apnea.  Also he plans to move my chin 6 mm's forward to even out my profile.  

I never intended to have a Hollywood face-over.  I just wanted to have a normal bite.  If I could turn back the hands of time i would.  My 6 year old constantly tells me that he wants his daddy back which makes me feel terrible.  

I'm sorry for rambling on so I will finally get to the point. Do you think that the gameplan for the new surgery is a normal correction or recommendation?  I was mostly concerned about the rotating of the jaw.

Answer
Christopher -  I just don't know.  From what you describe, the initial surgery was done incorrectly and the doctor is trying to compensate now.  I wish I could tell you that the compensating surgery is correct, but I would need to know much more information.  The rotation of the jaw seems to be a correction for what was done at the initial surgery.  I wish I could tell you more, but I would need to see xrays, models of your jaw and pictures of you before the initial surgery and now.   I am willing to advise you, but I need that information to arrive at a honest perspective.

Oral Surgery

Joel S. Teig, DMD, Diplomate ABOMS, retired